Thursday 5 October 2006

Purpose of Human Activity

I attended a talk recently which was interesting and got me thinking. What is the purpose of reading the newspapers or feeding my fish or making breakfast? Often I try to find God in the big picture.. like God in my mission project... God be with me when I give this talk, God be with me in my exam or in my job interview... But how often have I said "God be with me as I fry this egg?" St Teresa said, "God is among the cooking pots." How clever of her to notice God even among the cooking pots. The next time I take out my pot to cook Maggi Mee I will bear in mind that even in that 3 minute "fast to cook, good to eat" experience, God is with me. Perhpas to many Christians this may seem silly. Why not? When we have become a generation of Christians who have split our profession from our daily lives, including even the little details of our daily lives.

Often I find myself dividing my activities into categories. Church is a catergory and work is another category. Family is yet another and so on... I have compartmentalized my life like an Ikea closet! An Ikea closet is cool but I realise that I don't need to have different compartments in my life. I've got the meanings and goals in my life mixed up and I'd like to undo this mix-up. Our work should be our means but often we make it our goal. Our Christian life is a goal. And our work and Christian life have become goals but separated from each other.

Well it's not too late for me to know that the purpose of human activity is to be in communion with God. This makes life alot simpler, less complicated, less compartmentalized. My prayer should not be separated from my daily life. My prayer should flow into my life.

No comments: