Tuesday 8 April 2008

HeartSpeaks - MaryJane's Mother

She asked her daughter Mary Jane, to send a letter to Tita Letty explaining why she couldn't make it for our first trip to the government office, (where we will get their National Bureau of Investigation Clearance which would later be needed in getting the birth certification of the children). In the letter, she wrote, "It’s too shameful for me to join the group because I don’t have any money to contribute for this clearance. All I have today is a ten peso coin left to buy food for my 2 kids."

I judged her wrongly. I thought that she was an irresponsible mother who did not care anymore. Or a mother who would just wait for her children to grow up a little and let them be cooked on top of the garbage mountain. Along the way I felt anger thinking of little Mary Jane. She’s one of our outstanding students. I wonder, "Can she ever make it to formal school?"

In the afternoon, we were back in school with the other mothers and I read her letter.

The next day, I met her, Martina, a young mother of 3. She was smiling shyly in front of the school gate. She had just ended her night-shift at the dumpsite and had come to school immediately after work. We told her to have a of clothes after which we went to the government office with her. I realized how dignified she is. She shared how she worked harder now for the 3 children, since her husband left them last December. Her husband was a drug addict and drunkard, whose irresponsibility is well known to her children. The children even persuaded her to leave their father.

With courage she narrated that she needs to earn at least 150 pesos daily to sustain their needs. The dumpsite’s heat at times is really unbearable according to her, "It’s different these days. The sun’s heat penetrates the insides of my body.” She told me how much she earns. (27peos = 1 Singapore dollar)
1 kilo of coke cans (= 40 cans) - 30 pesos.
1 kilo of bottled plastic bottles (= 30 pcs) - 15 pesos.
1 kilo copper wires (which she would still need to burn) - 40 pesos.
1 kilo of plastic wears or old basins cost 15 pesos
1 kilo of plastics costs 50 pesos can cost 20 pesos.

All this depends on her skillful senses on top of the mountain.

Mary Jane once share with me that her dream is to be a teacher. She reads very well and her Math is excellent. Martina told me that Mary Jane once told her that she buy a big house for her and she would not let her father in. Martina brags about Mary Jane’s independent character. At times she sells fish balls and no one can trick her with the payments.

All this time I saw Many Jane as just a 7 year old kid. I often look at her and sense the innocence, the warm smile and light heartedness that I fail to see in the other overly-burdened kids. I realized how a mother’s love fills the empty spaces that probably fills her. Martina revealed to me the wonders of the greatest LOVE.

Braving the heat of the sun, 7am to 5 p.m a day; digging through the garbage piles; going beyond any sickness. Letting go of the pains which her husband caused her. Supporting the needs of her three children. Dreaming for them and helping them achieve the dreams one day at a time, fills my heart with the pride for a mother’s life; a gift from God like Martina.

Let’s take a moment to pray for her and the many other Martinas surviving in Payatas. May her story be a source of light, of God’s providence and care. Let’s pray for the many Mary Janes receiving such unconditional love. May they fill the other empty hearts around and let them realize the greatest value of suffering and love.


P.S.
Tita Letty gave a slot of the birth certificate funds for Mary Jane. Touched by the mother’s honesty and persistence. Truly there is so much more that what meets the eye.

No comments: