Thursday 24 July 2008

Pilgrim's Progress Part 2

14th July 2008 Monday 7am. Place: Bathurst (in a college sports hall)

Head still throbbing. Many pilgrims still all around me but less noisy cos they're all sleepy too. Forget about using the toilets! several hundreds queuing.. not worth it. I decide i'll wait till 5 mins before mass when the toilets are empty.

Commissioning Mass begins (my 2nd one so far). I guess this is for missing the Commissioning in Singapore.

It's a relief to know that Singapore is scheduled as the 1st batch to leave for Sydney. like typical kiasus, we're quick to chope a bus, the seats and dump our luggage into the luggage van. We're on the road to Sydney with Ricardo, Anna, Kelly (from Mayland) and about 40 other Venezuelans. I learn that there is never a dull moment with Venezuelans. We sang, we clapped, we cheered all the way to the train station. (about an hour's ride). After all "Yo Vine Para Amara Dios" (I came to love God)

We got to the train station (can't remember the name) and once more the 6 of us continued on our journey to Sydney. It was exciting and at the same time a little anxious because we did not know what to expect next. We found our way (thanks to Location IC, Martin) to Kingsgrove, St Ursula's College. Btw, i was still hungry though the headache was almost gone. It was almost 5pm and we were starving as our last meal was breakfast.

At this point of the trip, we felt all alone in Sydney but it's also from here that we began to see how Abba Father takes care of us every step of the way. I made a wish the previous night in Bathurst. I shared with Mayb how I wished that in Sydney we would not have to share rooms. It would be quiet just Mayb, Debbie and I. hehe

Now in St Ursula's College, Mayb and I were taken to the classroom we would be staying in. God answered my prayer! It was only Mayb, Debbie, Angela *from california and me! Great! thanks God!

Back in Bathurst Mayb wished for a simple meal, rice and soup. The people in Cowra
were great and we loved their BBQ. It was always hotdogs and we love hotdogs. But I guess we had one too many. When we arrived at St Ursula's College, our hosts were whipping up a great cookout meal... hotdogs and bread... we really like hotdogs.. but this pilgrim needs rice and hot soup. After snacking on a hotdog each we made our way out and found a Malaysian chinese eatery. Mayb had her wish come true. Rice and hot soup!

There were many pilgrims at the College too. The pilgrims from the Singapore Youth Ministry Office were there too. So we were happy to meet them. There were about 60 indonesian students too and ICPE pilgrims from India and other countries. However there were only 3 bathing compartments/wooden cupboards. Each wooden compartment had 3 shower heads. 2 compartments were reserved for the ladies and the guys had to make do with 1 compartment. thankfully we had heaters but the guys didnt on the 1st night. Even then it was cold in Sydney and the warm water wasnt that warm as there were too many people showering so the water couldn't heat up in time for each pilgrim's shower.

Opening Litury
place: our lady of Fatima parish (next to the college)
parish priest: Fr Remy.
Let Your Light Shine

Night time:
The classrooms didnt have heaters. I had on 3 tops, 1 woolly sweater and 1 winter jacket.. and 2 pants for the nights. it was cozy in the sleeping bag but I'd shake from the cold every time i had to come out of the sleeping bag.


15th July Opening Mass at Barangaroo. Singaporeans would say it as "bar-rung-gar-roo"
Lots of walking, many pilgrims. It was crazy. at one point there was such a massive jam on the road to Barangaroo we were stuck for almost 2 hours. the meal packs were bad. We had meat pie which is supposed to be an Australian favourtite. But i highly doubt Australians would agree with the meat pie we got. We missed dinner as it was too much of a hassle to collect it in Barangaroo. This was the start of World Youth Day week. We left when the Mass was about to end to avoid the human crush. In the process, I fell and scraped my knee. Ouch! I hate bleeding.






We rushed because we were trying to get to St Mary's Cathedral.

This was what I recall from Cardinal Pell's sermon at the Eucharist. Jesus is our shepherd who searches for the lost sheep (hmmm i'm reminded of the 1000 sheep and what would Will do if 1 went missing???) Jesus welcomes the the lost sheep. Those suffering and in pain, Jesus offers healing. Jesus the shepherd calls out to all who are suffering especially those without religion (or deny God) to love, healing and community. In Ezkiel, there is the place where the desert is of dry bones. Autralia is a country which has been suffering a severe drought for several years (that explains the high food prices??). But where there is life there is hope. we are always able to act and choose. We believe in the power of the Spirit to connect people's hearts because God's forgives.

You know, the 1st day out in Sydney as a pilgrim wasn't that great! I wanted to bail out of the cold clasroom-cum-bedroom and hop into a nice hotel. I fell and scraped my knee and it hurts and I hate pain. I didnt like the crazy human jam at Barangaroo. I can imagine how the Jews felt as they left Egypt! one big exodus-cum-human-jam. I'm in a cold and dry place. I miss my warm humid Singapore. and did I mention I'm hungry? But something clicked in me during the Eucharist. Maybe it was the sermon. Maybe it was recieving Jesus once more during communion. I felt the desire to continue on the journey to the Cathedral.

St Mary's Cathedral
As we predicted the Cathedral was quiet except for several other like-minded pilgrims (smart-fellows). We had the cathedral to ourselves :)
Met an ultra cool dude. Blessed Pier Giorgio Frassati. http://www.3op.org/frassati.php
His words struck me: "to live without a faith, without a patrimony to defend, without a steady struggle for the truth, that is not living, but just existing."
I think that this is especially true today for young people who live in 1st world countries, who have "everything" and yet their hearts are empty.

But let's not look at others. What about this pilgrim? Am i just existing here in Sydney? What are my struggles so far? What am I here for? Do I want to journey on as a pilgrim or enjoy Sydney as a tourist?


Btw, we (mayb, Debbie and I) have developed C.O.S - crush on Saint! hehe

No comments: