Tuesday 29 September 2009

Sandakot: "A Handful..."

What Sandakot area looks like…

Sandakot is tagalong word for “a handful.” I sense that the place live by its name, simply because people there seem to embrace life and even try hard to survive even with “a handful.”

I experienced going there a few times with Teacher Jane when we were giving medicines for the kids supported by the TB Program. This place is another area in Payatas where one can sense a feel of the “community” because people know each other very well and people so familiar with one another’s life stories. Many people there can even identify the kids without birth certificates.
I remember the Balanquit siblings, Benito and Anna, “Beauty”, Reynante, Carlo and Teresa. They are just some of the many students that I’ve met the last time I went there, very active and cheerful playing and proud to show off their houses. I remember the houses there made of cardboard and the house with a mosquito net for a wall. I remember the very narrow alleys that serve as playground for the rugged kids around. We’re thinking one lighted cigarette can almost bring the whole place down. Sandakot is near Erwin’s place one of our scholars before too. It rests very near the dumpsite, Payatas version of a land down under. Going there I felt proud of the kids who can attend classes in Paaralang Pantao everyday. Truly, the kids showed great perseverance and strength to be able to walk and trek the rough roads.

Tonight I receive a text message from Teacher Jane, the people of Sandakot are now slowly going back from the relocation sites in Payatas. I wonder if there’s anything left…even a handful…

of courage, strength, endurace, hope….

No comments: