Sunday 19 October 2008

Meet Paul Petrus (Interview with Missionary)

Papua New Guinea is one of the four Melanesian countries (PNG, Fiji, Vanuatu and Solomon Islands). PNG received Independence from Australia in 16th September, 1975. PNG has four regions, New Guinea Islands, Momase, Papua and the Highlands. I am from the Highlands region in a province called Western Highlands.
PNG is one of the interesting countries in the world because it has over 800 languages with a variety of cultures.

My work: I am a freelance researcher. Currently I am doing research for the Catholic Archdiocese of Mt. Hagen in my province. Mainly collecting oral histories for the church. I am also a Radio announcer and programmer in our local Catholic Radio.

Challenges I Face: Working as a layman in the Church is very challenging. Seeing my school mates working in big offices with higher pay makes me tempted to leave the church and apply for a job in those big offices. Therefore, I struggle to earn a living with the little money that I earn. Having in mind the roles and responsibilities in the societies and the high expectations from the people. Working with limited resources, overloaded with roles and responsibilities in the church is quite challenging.

What keeps me going: When I realize the value of my work towards the people now and in the future it motivates me. And also when I receive positive comments from my boss or other people it encourages me to continue.
I have a aim and desire that I would like to see my people and country develop and my input seem to have a vital contribution.


My hope for the young people in PNG is that, more than 50% of them should be educated in the year 2010. But most importantly more than 70% of the young people should receive a tertiary qualification in the year 2020. If that is possible then the development of our society and the country is possible in all aspects.

Mission means working in any field that you are qualified in with your heart and mind for the good of the majority of the population in your community. The outcome of your mission can be achieved at present or in the future.

Paul with Sherlyn

No comments: